Facts and Figures On the Most Commonly Recycled Metals

Metal pipes on stockEvery year, around eight million motor vehicles go to recycling facilities for processing. Used parts end up as components of new products. While the world is yet to reach target numbers, it is encouraging to know that a good amount of materials ends up being reused instead of being dumped in landfills.

Here are some interesting facts about the most commonly recycled metals on the planet today:

Copper

When buying scrap metal such as copper, scrapping or recycling facilities can be particular with the quality of the material you are selling. After all, copper is the most valuable of all recyclable metals. Premium-grade copper can add a significant sum to your scrapping income. Recycling the metal saves about 85 percent of the energy used in manufacturing it from virgin ore, along with 65 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions.

Aluminium

One of the most important sources of recycled products is used aluminium—not only from beverage cans, but also from automobile parts and home appliances. Still, a majority of scrap aluminium (about 97 percent) comes from beverage cans. A beverage can that undergoes smelting and is reused for manufacturing returns to supermarket shelves in just three months.

Iron and steel

Whilst aluminium always figures in importance in any talk about recycling, the most reprocessed metals are still iron and steel. They are likewise the easiest and least costly to process. Every day, huge magnets recover millions of used steel from dumps.

Zinc, lead and tin

Car parts, specifically galvanised components, contain zinc that can be recycled. Lead from acid batteries may be recovered and processed for reuse as well. Meanwhile, secondary sources of tin yield about 50,000 tonnes of the metal globally.

Nowadays, only 30 percent of all metal content of products used are recycled. The remaining 70 percent is thrown away after a single use. We should think about segregating the rubbish we produce, and instead of indiscriminately throwing metals in the bin, place them in recycling bags for processing at a nearby facility.