When your central air conditioning (AC) system produces little to no cooling, you usually call for AC repair services. To save on expenses, some people in Chesapeake, VA learn how to troubleshoot and repair their own AC systems.
Most people face common problems when it comes to their AC systems, including:
AC System Not Turning On
If you can’t get your AC system to activate, the most common causes can be a blown circuit breaker or fuse, improperly set or faulty thermostat, or switched off internal switch. In these cases, here’s what you should do:
– Make sure the thermostat is in the “Cool” position, and not set to “Off” or “Heat.”
– Make sure the thermostat is set below the current room temperature.
– Check if the double breaker controlling the AC compressor or condensing unit, and the circuit breaker controlling the furnace blower or separate air handler are in the “On” position.
– If the circuit breaker popped or the fuse is blown, reset the circuit breaker or replace the fuse.
– If the circuit breaker or fuse fails again after resetting or replacing it, call for an AC repair technician. This could mean a more serious AC problem.
– Check if the switches inside and around the AC system are set in the “On” position. These include the external safety switch on the outside wall next to the condensing unit.
– If the AC unit has a condensate overflow tray, check it for excessive water.
– Check if the blower door on the air handler is closed securely.
Poor Air Flow from Cooling Vents
Common causes of poor air flow include dirty air filters, or blocked, crimped, or disconnected ductworks.
To fix poor air flow, follow these steps:
– Check if the air filter is clean. If dirty, clean or replace it.
– Inspect the ductworks visually for disconnections or crimping. These include hard-to-reach ductworks found in attics, basements, or crawl spaces. Repair or connect these ductworks as needed.
– Check if the register dampers on the vents are set in the “Open” position.
When faced with common problems, it’s easy to troubleshoot or repair AC systems. It’s also important to know when you need professional assistance, however. If the problem persists, call for AC repair services or technicians.